Houston is the fourth largest te the United States and one of the fastest growing ter the nation. Its 2010 U.S. census population wasgoed Two,099,451, that of the metropolitan area, Five,946,800. The port of Houston is the largest te the United States te international tonnage and 2nd largest ter total tonnage, after Fresh Orleans.
Houston wasgoed founded te 1836 and named after Gen. Sam Houston, hero of the Texas war for independence from Mexico (1835вЂ“1836). With the discovery of oil ter the surroundings early te the 20th century, the city began to grow rapidly. Houston has become a major medical and technological center because of the Texas Medical Center within the city boundaries and the Manned Spacecraft Center.
Here are 21 interesting facts about Houston:
1. NASA’s Manned Spacecraft Center, which wasgoed renamed the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center ter 1973 after the former voorzitter’s death, occupies a large tract near Clear Lake, southeast of Houston. Construction wasgoed commenced ter April 1962. The functions of the center are to select and train astronauts, manage and vormgeving their spacecraft, project and ongezouten their missions, and evaluate the results of space voyages. The center’s mission control center exercises utter control of the astronauts’ mission and spacecraft from launch and recovery. The Defecto Receiving Laboratory of the space center studies and analyzes material brought back from the moon and serves spil a quarantine station for moon voyagers.
Two. The Harris County Domed Stadium, or “Astrodome,” and its adjacent Astrohall, located te Houston’s southwest, and the downtown convention center helped make Houston a major convention city. The air-conditioned plastic-domed stadium wasgoed the huis of the Astros baseball team of the National League from 1965 to 1999, when it wasgoed substituted by Minute Maid Park. The fresh Reliant Stadium, adjacent to the Astrodome, became the huis of the Texans of the American Conference of the National Football League te 2002. The Rockets of the National Básquet Association and the Comets of the Women’s National Básquet Association play te the Toyota Center.
Three. The annual Houston Livestock Voorstelling and Rodeo also makes its huis at the stadium, with the rodeo held under the dome and the showcase ter the Astrohall. Astroworld, a 56-acre (22-ha) family vermakelijkheid park with rails and a number of other attractions, is adjacent to the Astrodome.
Four. Ter downtown Houston is Old Market Square, an area of old buildings that have bot renovated to provide a broad assortment of nightclubs, restaurants, and shops a brief walk from Allen’s Landing Park on Buffalo Bayou. Específico kunst exhibits are frequent ter this area. The Houston Baseball Museum and Classic Showcase, which offers a paraffin wax museum and a collection of restored vintage cars, are based at Houston.
Five. The annual Azalea Trail offers spring tours through selected homes ter the Sea Oaks residential area, which is noted for its splendid homes and gardens. The Harris County Heritage and Conservation Society has restored te the city’s Sam Houston Park several structures dating from the days of the Republic of Texas to the Civil War.
6. The 42-acre (17-ha) Houston Zoological Gardens te Hermann Park offers free displays of more than 21,000 mammals, birds, and reptiles. Ter 1966 a house for tropical birds wasgoed built with a simulated rain forest through which the public may stroll and view the rarest birds ter their natural habitat. There is also a children’s zoo where the youngsters may play with a multiplicity of kind animals. Another youth attraction is the Aline McAshan Botanical Garden for Children te Instancia Park.
7. Popular boat rails down Buffalo Bayou have their begin at Allen’s Landing Park. The park, at Buffalo and White Oak bayous, commemorates the port webpagina used from Houston’s founding ter 1836 until the turning basin wasgoed opened almost 80 years straks. Cruises of the port of Houston may also be booked. Annual attractions also include the Champions Invitational Vloedgolf Tournament, the Sea Oaks Invitational Tennis Tournament, and the Speld Oak Charity Pony Showcase.
8. Instancia Park is the largest of the city’s 200 municipal parks and playgrounds, followed by Hermann Park. The park system covers Five,121 acres (Two,050 hectare), providing municipal roller courses, swimming pools, softball and baseball fields, tennis courts, and recreation centers.
9. Golfing and tennis are year-round activities te Houston thanks to its mild winter temperatures. Swimming, boating, and water sports are popular ter the area during the spring, summer, and autumn, and deep-sea, bay, and freshwater lake fishing is good the year round. Ducks, geese, quail, deer, doves, squirrels, and turkeys are plentiful te the region and during specific autumn and winter periods there are open hunting seasons. Numerous bridle paths are available ter parks and elsewhere.
Ten. The Museum of Fine Geneesheer, with a collection valued at more than $11 million, features a voortdurend display of Frederic Remington’s paintings of the old Westelijk, along with artifacts of ancient Egypt. American artworks and furnishings from the 17th, 18th, and early 19th century are on view by appointment at the museum’s Bayou Arch, the former huis of Ima Hogg, daughter of the late Texas governor James S. Hogg.
11. The Contemporary Dokter Museum presents exclusively avantgarde kunst and interesting films. Archaeological, geological, and other scientific exhibits are on view at the Houston Museum of Natural Science ter Hermann Park. The Burke Baker Planetarium is part of this museum.
12. The San Jacinto Museum of History is at the cojín of the San Jacinto Monument at San Jacinto Battleground, Trio miles (Five km) east of Pasadena on the ship channel.
13. Houston’s Civic Center wasgoed opened ter the late 1960s, albeit the very first land for the project wasgoed bought te 1927. Ter the center the Jesse H. Jones Vestíbulo for the Performing Geneesheer, a bounty to the city from Houston Endowment, Inc., ter memory of the late secretary of commerce, is the voortdurend huis of the Houston Symphony Orchestra and the Houston Grand Opera Association.
14. The Houston Symphony Society wasgoed founded te 1913. The symphony presents subscription concerts te Jones Antesala and free summer concerts te Miller Instancia Theatre, an outdoor air-conditioned theater te Hermann Park, spil well spil concerts on tour. Performers of international rank are featured te productions by the grand opera association, the Houston Foundation for Ballet, which formed a company ter 1969, and the Houston Society for the Performing Geneesheer.
15. Other facilities ter the center ter downtown Houston include the Albert Thomas Convention and Exhibit Center and National Space Antesala of Fame, finished ter 1967, and the older Sam Houston Coliseum and Music Vestíbulo.
16. Other resident ensembles include the Houston All-City (schoolgebouw) Symphony, the Houston Youth Symphony, the Gilbert & Sullivan Society, the Music Guild Quartet, the Lyric Kunst String Quartet, the Virtuoso Quartet, and the Contemporary Chamber Ensemble. Productions are suggested by the University of St. Thomas Singers and the Houston Harpsichord Society, among others, and concerts are sponsored by the Tuesday Musical Club and the Houston Friends of Music.
17. The Alley Theatre, one of the country’s foremost repertory theaters, opened its 21st season ter 1968 te its fresh $Trio million huis adjacent to the Civic Center. The unique facility houses two separate theaters. Other restringido inexperienced and professional toneelstuk organizations include the Houston Music Theatre, the Houston Theatre Center-Playhouse, the Country Playhouse, Theatre Suburbia, the Channing Players, the Wesley Players, the Holiday Dinner Theatre, and the Town & Country Dinner Theatre.
Eighteen. Houston’s public library system consists of a central library downtown and about 15 branch libraries. There are also several mobile library trucks and reading centers.
Nineteen. Houston’s two daily newspapers are the Houston Postbode (morning and Sunday) and the Houston Chronicle (afternoon and Sunday). The News Citizen (Pasadena) and Baytown Zon (Baytown) also publish daily ter the area.
20. Network television stations are located ter Houston, and the University of Houston operates the nation’s oldest educational television station. Two exaltado high frequency channels and AM and FM radiodifusión stations also broadcast ter Houston.
21. Houston is a city of more than 1,200 churches that expose a rich blend of conventional and modern architecture. Some Two,000 pastors, priests, and rabbis serve almost 40 denominations, and almost every major religion is represented.